This salad was inspired, believe it or not, by a salad I had at a popular chain restaurant. One of those places where I typically order the chicken Caesar salad “hold the chicken, the cheese, the bacon and dressing. Just bring me some vinaigrette on the side, please.”
But this salad was a total surprise. Edamame, seeds, tomatoes, sweet vinaigrette and dates. Dates! Yes, dates. I’ve never considered adding dates to a salad and I tell you, I have added them ever since.
The vinaigrette is a sweet ruby-red grapefruit juice based dressing and is so awesome with chunks of papaya. The papaya has this delicious honey flavour, but you could substitute mango, mandarin oranges or even apples.
To add a little bit of crunch and get my fix of super-vitamins I added some raw beets and sliced celery. Don’t be afraid of raw beets. I love chopped raw beets in salads. I don’t bother grating for this kind of thing. Just peel and chop.
The quantities below made one hungry-girl meal sized salad (I did not share). If you were serving this as a side, you could easily get 2,3. maybe up to 4 portions. Just double as needed to serve more.
The dressing keeps well for several days refrigerated and you will use about 1/4 for the salad below, or a 2-3 tablespoons depending on how dressed you like your salad. Keep the rest and use within one week.
- 2 cups arugula
- ¼ cup chopped papaya
- ¼ cup chopped raw beet
- 4 cherry tomatoes sliced
- ½ cup edamame
- 2 madjool dates, pitted and diced
- 1 rib of celery sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons of ruby red vinaigrette
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil (or other neutral tasting oil)
- ¼ cup fresh ruby red grapefruit juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Toss all ingredients in a large bowl. Toss with two tablespoons of the vinaigrette and serve.
- Add all ingredients to a mason jar with a lid and shake well to combine.
- Unused portions of dressing will keep refrigerated for 1 week.