These were to be mini baked donuts but they grew into more of mini bundt cakes so that is what I am unofficially calling them. Mini Lemon
Donuts Bundt Cakes with Lemon Glaze.
Since I’m sure you will want to make mini donuts – the recipe below makes 2-3 dozen mini donuts. These are seriously bite-sized. I figure you could eat about 10 as a serving. Just enough
to polish off in an evening to share with a friend or two. I would recommend that if you were going to take these to a party or something, make more. At least a double batch. Obviously.
Couple of notes. When you are blending the wet ingredients with the coconut oil your mixture might look like it’s curdled. It hasn’t and all is fine. It’s just the coconut oil being difficult. It does that. Do your best to whip it into shape – I beat the mixture (before adding dry ingredients) on high-ish speed for a minute or two. But don’t get too bothered about it. Once you add the dry ingredients it will be all good to go.
As with any cake-type batter don’t over mix the wet and dry ingredients. You want a smooth batter because you will be piping it into your donut molds. But if you over mix you will get tough little donuts and that is just not fun.
Don’t do what I do, do what I say.
I used a piping bag without a tip to get the batter into the molds which filled the molds about 3/4 full. As you can see, my donuts don’t look like donuts. So use a tip that has a slightly smaller opening than just the bag end and fill the molds less – about 1/2 full. Bonus – you will get more donuts this way!
Very lemony vegan donut with simple lemon glaze.
30 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 11/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Egg replacer, equivalent to 1 egg prepared as directed by package (1 teaspoon powder with 2 tablespoons warm water)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup soy or other non-diary milk
- zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, (juice from about half a lemon)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- dash of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare mini donut pan with cooking spray.
- Prepare egg replacer as directed by package, set aside
- In a small bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt
- Using a hand-held mixer and a large bowl, or a stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat sugar and melted coconut oil until well combined.
- Add soy milk, egg replacer, vanilla and apple cider vinegar and continue to mix on high speed for 1 minute. This is where it the mixture may look like it has curdled a bit.
- Add flour, baking powder, lemon zest and salt. Mix until just incorporated, but do not over mix.
- Fill a piping bag with the dough and pipe into donut molds. Fill molds to about half full.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes at 350F until golden.
- Remove from pan and place on a wire rack until cooled.
- Mix lemon juice, vanilla and powdered sugar. Add more powder sugar for a thicker glaze if desired.
- Drizzle glaze on donuts. (Donuts should be completely cool before glazing). Do this while donuts are still on the wire rack as the glaze will drip. The glaze will harden after a few minutes.
For best results, use a piping bag to get the batter evenly into the mini donut molds.
For full-size donuts add 2-3 additional minutes cooking time.