These sweet treats are great for picnics and potlucks. Sweet fresh summer berries in a simple buttery crust. Use a foodprocessor to make the crust and you are done in just a few minutes.
15 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks cold butter (1 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3-3/12 cups fresh strawberries, cleaned and sliced (about 2 pints)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Preheat oven to 375 and line a 9-13 baking tin with parchment paper.
- In a food processor add 1 cup sugar, baking powder, flour and salt. Close lid and pulse slightly. Add cold butter, egg and vanilla. Close lid in food processor and pulse several times until dough comes together into course crumbs. Just until most of the dry flour bits disappear, but not so long that the dough really sticks to the blades. The dough should just look like coarse sand.
- In a small bowl toss sliced strawberries with 1/2 cup of sugar and corn starch.
- Dump a little more than half of the dough into the prepared pan and press it down with your figures to form a crust. Add a little more of the mixture if you need to fill holes and corners. Spoon strawberries evenly over the crust. Then, take the remaining dough and grab handfuls, pushing it them together very gently, so they kinda stick together but not really, and sprinkle over the berries. You want to be able to see berries through the topping.
- Place the bars in the preheated oven and bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes. The crust will brown slightly on top and the strawberries to start to sizzle and bubble when done. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan before cutting into bars. Makes 12 large bars, or 36 two bit pieces for a crowd.