We all know how much I love taco / burritos recipes and I really love using my crock pot. This is super quick for a busy weeknight.
or good for dinner on a Sunday after an afternoon spent playing outside in the snow.
We had the first real snowfall this season, Lunnie’s first snow ever! She played and played and it was glorious.
This meal comes together quickly, quite literally a dump and forget kind of meal. Everything goes into the crock pot.. black beans, uncooked dried barley, frozen corn, spices, some canned tomatoes with green chillies….
Barley is one of those ingredients that I have a real hard time with. It’s not that I don’t like it. I do! But I have so few recipes where it really works. This is one of those recipes where barley works.
It’s best if you have a slow cooker or crock pot that is programmable for this recipe. Especially if you are getting dinner ready before work in the morning. This burrito filling only needs 4 hours on low heat. 4 hours most of the liquid is absorbed and the barley is perfectly cooked. My crock pot will turn itself to warm when done, holding dinner until we are ready to eat ,like this one. Totally takes all stress out of dinner.Once that yummy filling is ready just warm up some soft tortillas, prepare your toppings and dinner is ready. Easy Peasy.
Keep this meal vegan by skipping the cheese and sour cream or using dairy-free alternatives. I’m happy without. But this is totally up to you and gives you an easy option to keep everyone happy – vegans, vegetarians, what have you.This recipe is slightly adapted from Cooking Light. Here is how you make it….
A healthy meal made in the slow cooker, Vegan if you skip the cheese and sour cream or stick with vegan alternatives.
10 minPrep Time
4 hrCook Time
4 hr, 10 Total Time
- 2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium organic vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions, about 3, white and green parts
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, the juice of half of a lime (slice the other half and serve with the burritos)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (19-ounce) can lower-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups, canned diced tomatoes, undrained (540ml can)
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles, undrained
- 1 garlic clove, minced (I add this in the last 15 minutes)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt to taste
- 8-10 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese (optional or your choice of alternative)
- thinly sliced lettuce
- sour cream (optional or your choice of alternative)
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- In the base of your slow cooker dump all ingredients up to diced green chillies. Set slow cooker on low heat and cook for about 4 hours, or until barley is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- About 15 minutes before serving add minced garlic and fresh cilantro to the crockpot. Taste for salt and adjust if necessary. (This will depend on whether you use low or no sodium beans, tomatoes and stock)
- To serve, offer toppings - fresh green onions, fresh chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, salsa and sour cream. Fill each burrito with 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup of filling and add toppings as desired.
- Leftovers store nicely for 3-4 days refrigerated or in freezer for up to a month.