This Pumpkin Spice Bread is an easy quick bread. Healthy and vegan with a little extra sweet on top.
Pumpkin is the thing this week. Apologies if you are done with pumpkin. I’m just getting started. There might have been a latte. That probably started it. And then I made some pumpkin waffles and I even dug up an old pudding recipe. Fall is just not here until pumpkin takes over the kitchen.
It’s the Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend. And, yep, the pool is still open. It’s been so unseasonably warm. You would think I would be struggling with these warm and cozy spices right now. But nights come sooner and are cooler and something with a little warm sweet spice with my coffee is just so perfect.
This Pumpkin Spice Bread is a welcome addition my pumpkin baking repertoire. It’s quick and easy and relatively healthy. I’ve kept this one vegan and tried to keep the fat in check and added walnuts for crunch and texture.
A good pumpkin spice mix is a must here. Just make your own. It’s simple and will save you a trip to that big box supermarket that seems to have everything. Not to mention the 32 minutes you will spend looking for the spice section…
Before putting this in the oven, I generously covered the top with a mixture of sugar and pumpkin spice. Adding a little extra crunch and warm spicy-ness.
It will look like you have way too much sugar and spice for the top. Trust me on this, just use it all. Cover all the spots and you will end up with this gorgeous crunchy and crack-y top crust.
Everyone will fight over the top. “Crack-y” is my new word.
Here is how you make it:
Yields 1 loaf
A sweet and spicy vegan snack bread. Full on pumpkin flavour.
15 minPrep Time
55 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 8x4 loaf pan with parchment
- In a large mixing bowl sift together the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a medium sized bowl blend together pumpkin, brown sugar, canola oil and vanila. Give this a good stir so that sugar disolves.
- Gently fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Fold until just blended. Add walnuts and fold a couple of times to evenly distribute the walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Smooth out so it is evenly distributed in the pan. This is a thick batter.Mix 1 tablespoon white sugar and 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice together in a small bowl and sprinkle over surface of bread. Place bread in a 350 oven for 50-55 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow bread to cool for 20 minutes --- if you can wait that long-- before removing from pan and slicing.
i’m in love with this reto loaf pan I found on amazon – don’t you just want to bake something sweet and spicy when you see this?