Pumpkin butter gives these muffins the most rich and sweet pumpkin-y flavour.
It would not be fall without a pumpkin spice recipe and here is this year’s contribution – Sugar and Spice Pumpkin Butter Muffins.
I’ve used pumpkin butter in these muffins (rather than just plain ole’ pureed pumpkin) and it really gives these an intense, creamy and rich pumpkin flavour. Like so pumpkin-y 😍
Then each muffin is heavily spiced inside and out! I’ve topped each muffin with brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice before popping them in the oven – because “it’s a sugar and spice and everything nice” time of year.
As you can see, these babies disappeared faster than I could take their picture. 🙂 I don’t know what occasion may bring you having leftover pumpkin butter sitting around, but if you do, this is what you do with it. You may want to go out and
A few notes:
- If you want to make your own Pumpkin Butter, this version from the Minimalist Baker has not let me down. Note that I sub in a 796ml can for the 2 – 15oz cans, because the 796ml cans are usually all I can find – and I leave all other quantities the same and I’ve had no issue. Of course, you can also find pumpkin butter sometimes in supermarkets this time of year, or you can order it here if not.
- You can make Pumpkin pie spice at home too, you probably have everything you need already in your spice cabinet. Here is a very old post with the recipe I use.. here is my recipe. You can also buy it here or sometimes at a well stocked grocery.
Yields 12 muffins
The perfect pumpkin spice muffin with sugar and spice toppings.
20 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin butter
- 1/3 cup avocado oil (or other light tasting oil)
- 1/4 cup butter milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare a 12 cup muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl add all dry ingredients (sugar, flours, baking powder and soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice) and whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs until frothy, then add in pumpkin butter, oil, milk and vanilla. Mix until well combined and creamy. Gently fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients, folding until just combined.
- Divide batter between the 12 muffin cups.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice. Generously sprinkle spiced sugar on top of each muffin. Pressing very gently into the tops. You might have a bit of the sugar mixture left over.
- Bake at 350 for 25-27 minutes or until muffins spring back when gently touched in the middle.