Crunchy almonds and sweet bananas make these super fluffy banana pancakes a special treat.
Pancakes are our favourite lazy weekend food. Most weekends, a lazy day is a rare happening. Between hockey games, hockey practices, public skating, and more hockey our weekends are full up. If we happen to have day off. A day without schedules, it’s a safe bet there were pancakes.
Usually holiday weekends call for pancakes. Occasionally some random winter weekend might allow for them. Like this vegan chocolate banana pancake. This is lazing around in PJs and fuzzy slippers until well into the afternoon food. Becoming one with the couch food…
Probably best this is a rare thing.
For these banana pancakes, whipping the egg whites before adding them to the batter makes them supper fluffy with only a little extra effort. This pancake recipe is dairy-free too.
In this recipe, to keep the fat grams down a bit, I’ve skipped the egg yolks and added mashed banana for texture. Toasted almonds add crunch. You can leave these out if you wish. Honestly, I have a hard time not adding something crunchy to every batch of pancakes I make. It’s a personal thing. Leave them out and use rice or oat milk for a nut-free option.
I’ve served these with some preserved blueberries and maple syrup. The blueberries were a gift from a friend that understands breakfast. You can make a similar topping by simmering a couple handfuls of frozen blueberries in a bit of sugar until they are soft and heated through. Here is a recipe for a low-sugar blueberry sauce. Fresh berries are great too.
Here is how you make these fluffy, dairy-free banana pancakes:
Serves 4 (3-4 small pancakes per serving)
A fluffy dairy-free pancake loaded with banana and toasted almonds.
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 4 egg whites, whipped
- 1 banana mashed
- 1/4 cup chopped and toasted almonds
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or vegan butter (like Becel), melted
- 1-1/4 cups non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond).
- Whip egg whites until stiff peeks form. I used the whip attachment of my standmixer. You can use a hand held mixer or a whisk.
- On a small plate, peel and mash banana until creamy.
- Finely chop almonds, then toast in a warm skillet over medium heat. This will only take a couple of minutes, watch carefully. Use the same skillet as you will use to cook the pancakes.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, icing sugar, baking soda and salt. Add melted coconut oil, non-dairy milk, mashed banana and vanilla. Mix until well combined with no dry floury spots. Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the batter. Folding until they dissappear, being careful not to deflate them. Gently fold in almonds.
- Warm your skillet on medium low heat. Add a bit of cocunt oil to coat pan. Add batter, about 1/4 cup at a time to form a pancake. I can fit three small pancakes in my skillet at a time. Cook pancakes until tiny bubbles form on the surface of the pancake then gently flip. Cook for another couple of minutes on this side and transfer to serving platter. Work in batches, making 3 or 4 pankcakes at time, depending on the size of your skillet. Makes 12-16 pancakes. Serve immediately with your choice of syrup or fresh berries.