These Double Chocolate Whole Wheat Banana Muffins are vegan and fill the chocolatey requirement. And will totally settle that mid-afternoon chocolate craving. In a slightly virtuous way – there is whole wheat flour in there!
Speaking of girls and chocolate, look at this girls chocolate brown eyes.
This recipe makes 12 relatively small muffins. (not the ginormous monsters you find at the coffee shop) which is good. Good for a snack. And perfect for moderation.If you would like a more generous muffin I suggest you divide the batter between 10 muffins cups instead of 12. Although, I’d stick with making 12. Smaller muffins = slightly less guilt. Oh and did I tell you there was whole wheat, and flax in there. Yep, about as healthy as a chocolate, chocolate mufin can be.
Whole wheat double chocolte muffins. These are vegan
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed
- 2 large bananas mashed
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 12 cup muffin tray with paper liners.
- In a large bowl combine flaxseed, mashed banana, coconut oil, milk, brown sugar, and vanilla. Whisk well and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and fold gently to just combine. It is okay if there are some dry spots. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide the mixture between the 12 muffin cups an bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes. Muffins will be springy to touch or pass the toothpick test.