I needed a chocolate fix when I made these. Sometimes a girl just needs a little bit of chocolate. You know?
These Double Chocolate Whole Wheat Banana Muffins are vegan and fill the chocolatey requirement. And will totally settle that mid-afternoon chocolate craving. In a slightly virtuous way – there is whole wheat flour in there!
This recipe makes 12 relatively small muffins. (not the ginormous monsters you find at the coffee shop) which is good. Good for a snack. And perfect for moderation.If you would like a more generous muffin I suggest you divide the batter between 10 muffins cups instead of 12. Although, I’d stick with making 12. Smaller muffins = slightly less guilt. Oh and did I tell you there was whole wheat, and flax in there. Yep, about as healthy as a chocolate, chocolate mufin can be.
Whole wheat double chocolte muffins. These are vegan
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed
- 2 large bananas mashed
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 12 cup muffin tray with paper liners.
- In a large bowl combine flaxseed, mashed banana, coconut oil, milk, brown sugar, and vanilla. Whisk well and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and fold gently to just combine. It is okay if there are some dry spots. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide the mixture between the 12 muffin cups an bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes. Muffins will be springy to touch or pass the toothpick test.