I’ve been meaning to post this for a while, I followed Cleanse2011 for alittle longer than a week, and I thought a short run down of what I learned, liked, disliked was in order. The problem with most cleansing programs is a promise (perhaps more of a hope, since many programs do not outright make promises) of lightness and weightloss. Let’s face it, following a cleanse for a week is not going to make miraculous changes to your body fat percentages. My goals for the week were to simply clean up my diet. Get back on track and take a break from a couple of not-so-bad, but not-so-good habits. Like my 4 a day coffee habit.
1. I eat better than I thought. Most importantly — the basis of my daily diet is fresh veg and fruit. Especially since I began focusing on plant-based — most of my foods are fairly clean – except for maybe the organic corn chips, the coffee and okay – the wine too. But other than that, I eat pretty good…
2. I really like coffee. I really, really do. But I have been able to forgo coffee for a week and I feel okay. And while, I certainly did not give up caffeine – I drank plenty of green tea , I felt better mid afternoon without the coffee. Coffee is a comfort food for me. Kinda like chocolate or mashed potatoes (not necessarily together). Too much coffee makes me agitated and hurts my tummy. When I overdo it – which is most work days – I leave the office a 5pm feeling drained, my tummy hurts and by the time I get home, I just can’t wait to throw something, anything into my belly to fill it. Running on green tea I felt much more stable. Calm even.
3. I need to be more aware of my food intake — this is important for all of us. I am a victim of mindless eating, as is anyone else. I eat to fill the void – I’m bored, I’m procrastinating, avoiding work, or just looking for something to do. Sticking to a cleanse for 1 week meant that I had to think before I put something in my mouth. And while I was at work, I could only eat what I brought with me.
4. I have become painfully aware of the chemicals in every product I use everyday. My daily ritual includes – shampoo, conditioner, face cleanser, body/shower wash, shaving cream, body lotion, deodorant, toothpaste, mouthwash, face cream, makeup (broken down into eye shadow, foundation, concealor, eye liner, mascara, lipgloss), hair gloss, volumizer, sometime spray, perfume. And now I can leave the house….. oh I forgot sunscreen. Not to mention household cleansing products, air fresheners, laundry soap and dryer sheets. Whew!!
5. Almonds are not a low-fat, low-calorie food choices. I mean….Holy nuts batman! I ate so many almonds, and some walnuts too. I love them and they are crunchy. I like crunchy. And since I was avoiding gluten, most other crunchy things were out – other than rice cakes. Almond cranberry bars, Lara bars, almonds, walnuts in my smoothies…..